The Nasrid sultans left various areas for agriculture and livestock breeding, of which the Generalife, with its large vegetable gardens and a palace, was nearest to the Alhambra.
The irrigation channel ran parallel to the walls of the vegetable gardens. At one point the water was conducted through a perpendicular underground gallery, a deep well, a waterwheel and a large pool, in order for it to reach the highest cultivation area.
The underground gallery ends in a well below a tower, called Tower of the Ladies (Torre de las Damas), which was built to protect it and to support the waterwheel. Brick platforms surround the pool, and there is a stairway to a terrace that must have been an observation point or a pavilion over the Water Pond (Albercón).
As a result of the recovery of the Alhambra and its heritage in 1926, a new Water pond (Albercón) was built beside the Nasrid structure in order to increase the water pressure along the entire circuit. In the 1960s, with the increase of tourism, a third Water pond (Albercón) was built.
The Festival of Music and Dance of Granada in 1952 provided an impetus to the building of a theatre in the historical-artistic monuments complex.
The soultana’s court
Called that way after being regarded stage of imaginary love legends, fictionalized in the writings of Ginés Pérez de Hita.
The court of the main canal
Also known as "Court of the River", it's a narrow and long space.
The promenade of the cypress trees
Following the Promenade of the Oleander, the Promenade of the Cypress Trees takes the visitor to the place of exit.
Walk of the Oleanders
The Promenade of the Oleanders is connected to the Promenade of the Cypress Trees.
The Romantic Observation point
The top gallery has historic windows geminated of pointed arches.