Until the second half of the 20th Century, when the main tower and walls were restored, the Historical-Artistic Monuments site was in a state of ruin and abandonment. It was not until 1929 that a decision was made to do something about it. Torres Balbás was put in charge of excavating the remains of the plaster stairway and the door to the high tower, which at the time was in complete ruins.
The site probably served a military purpose, it being located in an area that was particularly vulnerable to enemy incursions. It is thought that the zone had strategic importance, a belief reinforced by the fact that the French occupational forces held it for a time.
The name Santa Elena was given to the church. Its Arabic denomination is unknown because it is not referred to anywhere in relation to the Grenadian sultan’s domain.
The state of abandonment that followed upon a series of uses put to it during the Christian era has left the site degraded, with little decorative or epigraphic remains left.
The history and descriptions remaining pertain to periods well after the Nasrid reign, and provide little information leading to an understanding of the role the site may have played in the defence strategy of Granada.
Moreover, taking into account the defensive role of the area, it would be reasonable to suppose that the remains of a wall or some other type of structure exist linking the site to either the Generalife the constructions located higher up the Cerro del Sol Mountain, or even to the irrigation channel.
The Festival of Music and Dance of Granada in 1952 provided an impetus to the building of a theatre in the historical-artistic monuments complex.
The soultana’s court
Called that way after being regarded stage of imaginary love legends, fictionalized in the writings of Ginés Pérez de Hita.
The court of the main canal
Also known as "Court of the River", it's a narrow and long space.
The promenade of the cypress trees
Following the Promenade of the Oleander, the Promenade of the Cypress Trees takes the visitor to the place of exit.
Walk of the Oleanders
The Promenade of the Oleanders is connected to the Promenade of the Cypress Trees.
The Romantic Observation point
The top gallery has historic windows geminated of pointed arches.