Because it was an inner gate, it provided direct access to the fortress, as opposed to the outer gates, which required more protection and were built as L-shaped passageways. Inside, however, there was room enough for benches for the guards that controlled all access to the fortress.
Architecturally one of the oldest structures in the Nasrid Alhambra , it was built during the time of the Sultan Muhammad III (1302-1309), although the decoration of both façades pertains to different periods
The door on the east side, carved in sand stone, probably belongs to the 13th century or the beginning of the 14th century, although the tombstone over the door lintel refers to Sultan Muhammad V, who ruled the fortress in the second half of the 14th century. This east façade was the outer side of the gate and, therefore, the traditional Islamic symbol of the key was engraved above the arch key.
The inner side, i.e. the west façade, even when it follows a similar structural pattern, was decorated during the second mandate of Sultan Muhammad V, more specifically after 1367, the date of the military campaigns of Jaen, Baeza and Ubeda. Remarkable are the beautifully decorated spandrels hanging from the arch, made up of dry-rope manufactured tiles, and the composition of the stucco walls that frame the upper floor’s window, and the rest of well-preserved polychromatic painting on the right side of the arch.
The Festival of Music and Dance of Granada in 1952 provided an impetus to the building of a theatre in the historical-artistic monuments complex.
The soultana’s court
Called that way after being regarded stage of imaginary love legends, fictionalized in the writings of Ginés Pérez de Hita.
The court of the main canal
Also known as "Court of the River", it's a narrow and long space.
The promenade of the cypress trees
Following the Promenade of the Oleander, the Promenade of the Cypress Trees takes the visitor to the place of exit.
Walk of the Oleanders
The Promenade of the Oleanders is connected to the Promenade of the Cypress Trees.
The Romantic Observation point
The top gallery has historic windows geminated of pointed arches.