Access to the room was through three stalactite arches, richly decorated, that also allowed for the illumination and ventilation of the room, as well as providing a nice view of the courtyard.
Its name comes from the dome that the room originally had. The dome must have been profusely decorated, but due to the fragility of the plasterworks, it was badly damaged by the explosion of a powderhouse in the valley below, in 1590. As a result, it was later demolished and partially replaced by the present structure, built in the 17th century, after Philip V visited Granada.
he Hall of the Muqarnas probably included a toilet, access to which was through the front gate entrance to the Palace.