Counsel of Ministers meetings and worship took place in these rooms.
There are four main gates in the wall, two on the north side, -the Gate of Arms and the Gate of the Arrabal, and two on the south side,the Gate of Justice and the Gate of the Seven Floors.
It was the residential area of the royal guard in charge of the security of the palatial city
la Torre de la Vela, nombrada en época nazarí torre Mayor y durante el siglo XVI puerta del Sol ya que se refleja en la fachada de mediodía actuando como un reloj de sol para la ciudad.
The decision to build the Palace in the Alhambra symbolized the triumph of Christianity over Islam.
The tour of the Alhambra also includes a visit to the museum, with its collection of Nasrid Art, which was found in archaeological excavations or restoration works in the Monument.
With Latin-cross floor design and side chapels, outstanding is its Baroque altarpiece framed by large Solomon-style columns from the 17th century
Drawings, paintings, musical scores and letters of the Grenadian composer, Ángel Barrios, form this collection
Two round fountains with water flowing into a pool in the centre of the court are its main feature.
The beautiful woodwork ceiling gives its name to this room, whose original decoration is attributed to Muhammad V.
The Sultan received his vassals at the foot of the Façade of Comares, which separated the administrative and familiar sectors inside the Palace.
The Main Canal acts as a mirror that reflects the building structures and breaks the structural horizontal lines of the court.
There are two possible origins of its name: its cylindrical vault or the Arab term “al-baraka”, which is repeatedly inscribed on its walls.
This Throne Room is the largest room of the building, flanked by nine small rooms, one of which was reserved for the Sultan
The baths being essential Moorish urban elements, it is easy to understand why each palace in the Alhambra has its own baths.
One of the rooms in the Palace of the Lions was used as a hall or vestibule owing to its proximity to the main entrance of the Palace
The Court of the Lions – Fountain – Water Jet . Alhambra of Granada
A spectacular vault decorated with eight-point star-shaped stalactites that open out on eight elephant-like trunks is the most remarkable ornamental element of the hall.
Five alcoves that flank a large hall were used for receptions and celebrations. Their domed ceilings are its most remarkable feature.
It got its name from the ajimeces, wooden balconies with latticework that are found in this room.
The vault, which has a central star motif made up of stalactites, is the masterpiece of the second main chamber of the Palace of the Lions.
The delicate tile decoration and the well-proportioned Nasrid architectural style make this one of most beautiful of the Alhambra Palaces
His visit to the Alhambra impressed him so much that he decided to build an “imperial suite” near the Moorish palaces.
An open gallery overlooking the Tower of Abu-I-Hayyay that breaks with the conventional wall patterns.
A balcony occupies the upper part of the south loft serving as a corridor between the rooms and protecting them
Though structurally similar to the Court of the Grated Window, it is more cloister-like. It bears the name of its balcony.
A large central pond faces the arched portico behind which stands the Tower of the Ladies
Rawda means cemetery. It was here, beside the Palace of the Lions, where the royal family interred its deceased family members
Outstanding is the long pool in the central courtyard with a lush garden, on the sides of which are the ruins of some rooms.
Several towers can be found along the route from the Partal Gardens to the Generalife and the Upper Alhambra.
Andalusian and Islamic, the Alhambra was conceived as a city built for the royal court.
The Mexuar and the Oratory were rooms used for various purposes: the Mexuar for Counsel of Ministers meetings, and the Oratory for worship.
Its name is derived from the Arabic term Maswar, the place where the Surah or Counsel of Ministers met. It was also the place or hall where the Sultan dispensed justice.
This room probably belonged to a structure that preceded the Palace of Comares and the Palace of the Lions. Its construction is attributed to Isma’il (1314-1325), and has undergone many alterations and modifications
Its decoration was adapted by Yusuf I (1333-1354) and later by Muhammad V during his second mandate (1362-1391). Both rulers were responsible for the construction of two best preserved Palaces of the Alhambra
Originally it had a lantern-like central body that provide light to the inside, of which only the four columns and entablature have been preserved. In the 16th century an upper floor was added and the building was transformed into a Chapel. The area today, with its Renaissance balustrade, was originally enclosed by a wall that was connected to the courtyard; this was added to the room to be used as the chapel choir.
Among the many significant alterations to the room was the epigraphic frieze of stucco that runs above the tiled socle . Coming from the lost Portico of the Court of Machuca, it was installed in the Mexuar by Moorish artisans to replace battlements with a clear symbolic purpose: The Kingdom is God’s, Power is God’s. Glory is God’s”. This inscription replaced the Christian verse: «Christus regnat. Christus vincit. Christus imperat».
A good Muslim must pray five times a day. He may do it in anywhere, although there are also medinas, mosques and oratories for that purpose. In the Alhambra, besides the Great Mosque, there were different oratories that were used by the Sultan, his family and the Court.
Originally access to the Oratory was through the Gallery of Machuca. Ground level was at the height of the stone bench by the windows, which last century was lowered to facilitate access to the oratory. The windows allowed worshippers who were kneeling on the floor with their arms leaning on the window sill to observe the landscape and reflect on the greatness of nature and divine creation.
When a powderhouse blew up in 1590 it destroyed the room. Later, it was renovated in 1917. The inscription includes a holy text from the Koran and praises by Muhammad V, among others. We can read: “Come to pray. Don’t be one of the negligent people.”