HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 18:13:47 GMT Server: Apache Set-Cookie: fe_typo_user=18f22156e44a47f3e40df8a58ea60a36; path=/; domain=.alhambra-patronato.es Connection: close Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
The Low Gardens are adjacent to the Generalife Theatre grounds.
The door has a fairly rich display of craftwork. The entrance to the palace is preceded by the sight of the markings of the traditional symbols of the hand and the key in the arch.
Also known as the Court of the Estuary, it is a long and narrow court.
It is so called because the legendary romantic scenes in the novels written by Genés Pérez de Hita are believed to have been set here.
It is a small stairway that is protected by vaulting laurel trees, designed in a way that would suit the needs of a medieval sultan.
The low-lying windows are a characteristic of Nasrid architecture.
The Generalife High Gardens resemble more the traditional Andalusian house and walled garden in Granada at the time than they do a Muslim farmstead.
The Promenade of the Oleanders is connected to the Promenade of the Cypress Trees.
The construction of the Alhambra was linked to the need to develop an effective hydraulic system.
Following the Promenade of the Oleander, the Promenade of the Cypress Trees takes the visitor to the place of exit.
The Festival of Music and Dance of Granada in 1952 provided an impetus to the building of a theatre in the historical-artistic monuments complex.
After the Generalife was definitively attached to the Alhambra, public opinion was mustered to build a public park. The area between the Alhambra and the Generalife Palace was built up and landscaped gardens were added.
The zone was simultaneously divided into the three parts that constitute the New Garden (Jardines Nuevos) today. In 1931 a section resembling a labyrinth garden, with arched rose gardens and cypress trees, was finished near the building; in 1951 the section was extended in accordance with the architect Prieto Moreno’s design for a Muslim-style garden, with an irrigation channel crossing, streets, cypress lined walls, a pergola and a view of both the Alhambra and the city.
Finally, in 1952, the outdoor amphitheatre was built for the Granada International Festival of Music and Dance, which as been held there ever since.