HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 03:04:27 GMT Server: Apache Set-Cookie: fe_typo_user=243a6844d69bc8fa3e877ee72385bf77; path=/; domain=.alhambra-patronato.es Connection: close Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8 bdc5
This is popularly known as the gate of Bibrrambla, Bab al-Ramla in Arabic or gate of Arenal, (sand) names that it adopted according to the place where it was originally located.
The Renaissance gate replaced a previous one that was Muslim. On its tympanum is an imperial coat of arms topped by three pomegranates after which the gate is named.
The Gate of the Wagons is not originally from the Nasrid period, it was carried out later, between 1526 and 1536.
This sculpture is dedicated to the figure of the famous New York writer Washington Irving (1783-1859) to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.
Located beside the Gate of Justice, its structure symbolizes the three rivers of Granada.
Also known as the Bride’s Palace or the Newlywed’s Palace.
Also known as Santa Elena’s Castle, it was built to guard and protect an area of the Generalife where water is channelled.
The Crimson Towers, a primitive structure, was probably part of a series of watchtowers that at one time belonged to the first Citadel of the Alhambra
The Catalans’ Villa is located in the southeast, adjacent to the Alhambra Wood, also known as the Split Rock.
he Rodriguez-Acosta Foundation was created in 1941, thanks to the benefaction of the painter Jose Maria Rodriguez-Acosta..
On the other side of the Gate of the Pomegranates is the Alhambra wood, with a road and two side trails.
In addition to being a natural reserve and a rustic area, the park has sporting facilities, hiking paths and places of archaeological interest.
The Alhambra complex is a venue for the activities of a number of cultural associations.
This is popularly known as the gate of Bibrrambla, Bab al-Ramla in Arabic or gate of Arenal, (sand) names that it adopted according to the place where it was originally located. Another name is also Arch of the Ears (Arco de las Orejas), a supposed name, because malefactors executed by law were exhibited under it.
The gate was located in the stretch of wall of the medina of Granada until the last quarter of the 19th century, and between 1873 and 1884 the process of demolition began. It gave access to the square of the same name which was the centre point of Nasrid Granada which spread around it. It was mainly mud built, with certain formal and structural elements made of stone.
There was a controversial debate on the demolition or restoration of the gate, and although it was declared a National Monument, in the end it was dismantled. Piece by piece it was kept in the Granada Archaeological Museum, until in 1933 the architect-curator, Leopoldo Torres Balbas, decided on its reconstruction and location in the present situation in the walk of the poplars of the Alhambra, after crossing the Gate of the Pomegranates on the left, in the wood. It is perfectly well integrated into the Monumental Complex according to the architectural taste of the period, the “poetics of ruins” manages to evoke in strollers the dreamy imaginative past times of the beginning of the 20th century.