Destroyed by Napoleon’s troops in 1812, it was reconstructed with the help of old paintings and photographs.
In the promenade outside the wall of the Alhambra are several towers and a first gate: the Gate of the Seven Floors, one of the outer gates of the complex.
This gate, a relic of artisanry, led to the upper side of the Medina of the Alhambra. Built in the 15th century on a previous one, it was blown up like the rest of this part of the wall by Napoleon’s retreating army in 1812.
The gate was rebuilt in the 1970s with the help of the illustrations of old paintings and photographs. The circular projecting bastion is prominent in one of Washington Irving’s “Tales of the Alhambra”.