The Rodriguez-Acosta Foundation was created in 1941, thanks to the benefaction of the painter Jose Maria Rodriguez-Acosta.
The Renaissance gate replaced a previous one that was Muslim. On its tympanum is an imperial coat of arms topped by three pomegranates after which the gate is named.
The Gate of the Wagons is not originally from the Nasrid period, it was carried out later, between 1526 and 1536.
This sculpture is dedicated to the figure of the famous New York writer Washington Irving (1783-1859) to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.
This is popularly known as the gate of Bibrrambla, Bab al-Ramla in Arabic or gate of Arenal, (sand) names that it adopted according to the place where it was originally located.
Located beside the Gate of Justice, its structure symbolizes the three rivers of Granada.
Also known as the Bride’s Palace or the Newlywed’s Palace.
Also known as Santa Elena’s Castle, it was built to guard and protect an area of the Generalife where water is channelled.
The Crimson Towers, a primitive structure, was probably part of a series of watchtowers that at one time belonged to the first Citadel of the Alhambra
The Catalans’ Villa is located in the southeast, adjacent to the Alhambra Wood, also known as the Split Rock.
On the other side of the Gate of the Pomegranates is the Alhambra wood, with a road and two side trails.
In addition to being a natural reserve and a rustic area, the park has sporting facilities, hiking paths and places of archaeological interest.
The Alhambra complex is a venue for the activities of a number of cultural associations.
The Rodriguez-Acosta Foundation was created in 1941, thanks to the benefaction of the painter Jose Maria Rodriguez-Acosta. It is located on the Mauror hill, and in the beautiful carmen (Granada house) built by its founder between 1916 and 1930, next to the Carmen of the Catalans and the Crimson Towers and near the Alhambra. Apart from the collections of the founder himself, the foundation houses the following: the legacy of Jose Manuel Rodriguez-Acosta Carlström (1935-2009) and his brother Miguel Rodriguez-Acosta Carlström (1929), now president of the institution. In the property itself, and annexed, is the headquarters of the Gomez-Moreno Institute, which houses the archaeological and artistic legacy of the famous historian, Manuel Gomez- Moreno Martinez, (1870-1970). The splendid collections found in the property are complemented by donations that have been acquired over time, such as that of the painter Manuel Maldonado Rodriguez ( 1915-1984), who is considered an essential pillar of 20th century Granada painting, the photographic legacy of the engineer and amateur painter Jose Martinez Rioboo (1888-1947) or more recently that of the Professor of History of Art, Jose Manuel Pita Andrade (1922-2009), who was a member of the board of trustees of the foundation, and who donated more than 600 books of enormous scientific and artistic value.
It is a delight to walk through the romantic gardens with their fountains, pools, different patios at diverse levels, with classical reminiscences, where one can breathe an air of tranquillity and grandeur in every corner. There are numerous galleries underground, running through the inner part of the hill of Mauror.