HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:01:55 GMT Server: Apache Set-Cookie: fe_typo_user=9ae79c80b619d31a84dc8601f147621e; path=/; domain=.alhambra-patronato.es Connection: close Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Also known as the Bride’s Palace or the Newlywed’s Palace.
The Renaissance gate replaced a previous one that was Muslim. On its tympanum is an imperial coat of arms topped by three pomegranates after which the gate is named.
The Gate of the Wagons is not originally from the Nasrid period, it was carried out later, between 1526 and 1536.
This sculpture is dedicated to the figure of the famous New York writer Washington Irving (1783-1859) to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.
This is popularly known as the gate of Bibrrambla, Bab al-Ramla in Arabic or gate of Arenal, (sand) names that it adopted according to the place where it was originally located.
Located beside the Gate of Justice, its structure symbolizes the three rivers of Granada.
Also known as Santa Elena’s Castle, it was built to guard and protect an area of the Generalife where water is channelled.
The Crimson Towers, a primitive structure, was probably part of a series of watchtowers that at one time belonged to the first Citadel of the Alhambra
The Catalans’ Villa is located in the southeast, adjacent to the Alhambra Wood, also known as the Split Rock.
he Rodriguez-Acosta Foundation was created in 1941, thanks to the benefaction of the painter Jose Maria Rodriguez-Acosta..
On the other side of the Gate of the Pomegranates is the Alhambra wood, with a road and two side trails.
In addition to being a natural reserve and a rustic area, the park has sporting facilities, hiking paths and places of archaeological interest.
The Alhambra complex is a venue for the activities of a number of cultural associations.
The palace is located on top of the Cerro del Sol Mountain, above the vegetable gardens of the Generalife and above Alijares and Silla del Moro.
The site was discovered by chance, while pine trees were being planted in the area in 1933. The excavation, which was headed by the architect Leopoldo Torres Balbás, lasted three years.
The site is centred around a central courtyard. On the northeast corner lie the remains of what has been identified as a hydraulic system involving the drawing of water from a well by waterwheel.
On the western side are the ruins of a long gallery open to the courtyard. The entire site is surrounded by a wall that may have been a barbican extending north and south. There appears to be evidence of paving beside the walls.
In the centre of the court are the remains of a pool, with signs of canalization—perhaps a drain.
The most built up area of the palace was located south of the court. A door on the central axis opened to various rooms. To the west, apparently surrounding the palace itself is a wall that, as has already been mentioned, may have been part of a barbican.
To the east lies the remains of the floor of a complete bath which was accessed from the court through a corridor with a double bend leading to a square room, in the centre of which was a circular shaped marble fountain with tiles, representing the most important decorative remains of the palace.
Further east was the bathroom, underneath which the partial remains of a hypocaust lie. The appearance of walls south of the bath would seem to indicate that there were more structures in the area at one time.
Fragments of plasterwork, pavings and tiles point to the importance of the palace.